Dr. Kenneth L. Wertzberger
Board-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Kenneth L. Wertzberger, M.D.
Featured Articles from Lawrence Journal-World
About Dr. Wertzberger
Dr. Wertzberger is a Lawrence, Kansas native and attended Lawrence High School, the University of Kansas, and played on the 1969 Orange Bowl Team. He left Lawrence in 1969 to go to the University of Kansas School of Medicine in Kansas City, graduating in 1973. From there, a year was spent in Minneapolis at the University of Minnesota Department of Surgery, followed by four and a half years at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota in an orthopedic surgery residency. Prior to returning to Lawrence in 1979 he spent six months at the Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia. Dr. Wertzberger practiced for 32 years in Lawrence at what is now called OrthoKansas, leaving there in 2011.
Dr. Wertzberger’s primary interests since returning to Lawrence have been knee and shoulder injuries in the athletic population, with an emphasis on the development of arthroscopy. He was a team physician for the University of Kansas since 1980 for 25 years, operating on over 400 university athletes since that time. Dr. Wertzberger operated on a number of former KU athletes while they were at KU that later went on to careers in the NFL, NBA, and participated in the Summer Olympic Games.
Dr. Wertzberger is limiting his practice to primarily issues of the knee and shoulder. He no longer councils individuals nor does he do surgery with regard to spinal problems or hip problems and he no longer does fracture work, i.e. operating on broken bones. There are some other limited orthopedic procedures besides shoulders and knees he continues to do including carpal tunnel, trigger fingers, ankle instability, and tennis elbow.
- Undergraduate: University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- Medical: University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS
- Internship: University of Minnesota Hospitals, Minneapolis, MN
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Mayo Clinic and Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, MN
- Fellowship: Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- Kansas Medical Society
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopedic Sports Medicine